A Southern Naturalist Almanac

Monday, July 23, 2012

A Southern Naturalist's Almanac - a calendar of events

I spend a lot of time online, obsessively scouring the internet for happenings on the biodiversity and conservation scene in Louisiana. If you live in this state and have not had the opportunity to make a casual study of its natural heritage, you are missing out.

I do it because staying abreast of conservation is my professional and civic duty. I'm interested in all aspects, but especially the public education/outreach bit. Lack of educational opportunities, in my mind, are at the heart of most societal issues.

I also do it because I am a social creature and I like getting out and meeting other people. Especially that keen and industrious bunch of naturalists and nature-lovers.

So I have recently started a new project, something I felt compelled to do because I am already "out there" so much, searching for another light in the dark. Love of place is thing worth sharing, so here I present to you:

A SOUTHERN NATURALIST'S ALMANAC

...a collection of natural (and cultural) heritage-oriented activities in Louisiana to help folks young and old get outdoors and meet like-minded people.  If you like birds, wildflowers, insects, reptiles and amphibians, archaeology or even astronomy( ...or if you like hanging around people that do!) check out this calendar for an event near you. If you notice that a really great event is missing from this calendar, you can add it yourself or email me and I'll add it. To add, all you have to do is write matthew(dot)s(dot)herron(at)gmail(dot)com. Let me know if you want me to "share" the calendar with you, allowing you access to add events.

The calendar will live at the bottom of this blog, but here is a link for your convenience.

The dream is that I can one day witness the coalescence of a movement, bring to a tipping point the energies of many as-of-yet divided camps: the sustainability folks, the biologist, the historians, the outdoorsies, the artists, the cyclists, the young energetic people of tomorrow. My hope is to see Louisiana become a sustainable, comfortable place, aware of its biological (and cultural) legacy and literate enough to help conserve it.

We can start by putting in one place all our assets, inventorying that precious manna I call educational opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment