A Southern Naturalist Almanac

Friday, July 22, 2011

A poem about a place and time

I'm noticing that my eyes are different. When I go to edit poems I have fewer problems chopping, moving, refining. Here is a poem I started in 2009. It feels right to me now. Let me know what you think.

Still Morning After The Festival

Some days it’s almost unbearable
the wet pavement
the cold air that seems to blow out
of a childhood place into early November

has it ever been this quiet in the city?

for two miles the old bicycle
disappears beneath me
I drift without trying
hearing only the wind with trees
and above that
the wind with the wind

under the wind the lake
outshines the gallery houses
joggers glisten and pass
without anything to say
the same birds that have always
been birds stare out
from the garden oaks
dropping like leaves
but returning
unsure of their departure

what is this cold
air, this movement
that makes my eyes burn and tears
dry against my face?
before I left I watched
the small festival, a city
unmake itself
the cars and trucks disappeared
the food was gone
the booths were empty
in the lawns before the capitol
light blew into them
over the tablecloths
the smell of books, damp leaves
I walked through each
between unbuttoned walls
touching the edge of a memory
where people once stood

when I get home, I said,
I will sit beneath the magnolia
tree and listen longer, I will sit
and watch the tops of the pines
swimming in place, touching
the edge of something
not quite gone
not saying goodbye
or hello to anyone

No comments:

Post a Comment